Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Grub

As you will soon learn, I am huge fan of cheese - specifically macaroni and cheese and grilled cheese. So when I hear that a restaurant has a "mac n cheese bar", it's the next place on my go-to list. 

GRUB is a small restaurant in San Francisco's Mission district that uses sustainable, local, organic ingredients and has a great way to please cheese-lovers. On their diverse dinner menu, they include both a "mac n cheese bar" and a "burger bar", where you start with a basic plate and add to it from the ingredients listed below. Of course I was drawn to a number of other items on their menu, like their housemade chicken pot pie (yum!), but I couldn't leave without trying their famous dish. 


As ordering time was drawing near, I considered how large the plate would have to be in order to select all twenty ingredients - it wouldn't be all too expensive (around $30), but would I be able to taste the main draw to the dish, the cheese? After discussing popular combinations with the waiter, I chose two out of the twenty "throw-in" options: Maine lobster and manchego cheese.  It was hard to turn down the truffle oil and applewood smoked bacon, but I can always return for more. 


I was very pleased with my choice of throw-ins. The Maine lobster was cooked to perfection and tasted fresh. The Spanish manchego cheese added the nice salty, slightly nutty flavor that it is well known for and stood out from the creamy white and sharp cheddar base. The texture of the top layer was crunchy without seeming over-cooked. All in all, the macaroni and cheese was delicious and filling - I had enough leftover to take some home. It was thick, creamy, flavorful... everything I could have asked for.

Not quite as obsessed with mac n cheese, Jared selected a burger from their "burger bar." With a 6 oz. Niman Ranch all-natural beef patty, a toasted pan de mie bun, and a number of condiments, the burger didn't even seem like it needed toppings. However, given the add-on choices, it was hard to say no. He chose Tillamook cheddar, smoked bacon, and creamy avocado. I can't describe how it tasted, but I can tell you that it was stacked almost five inches high and was gone in minutes. I think he liked it. :)


Overall, considering the quality of ingredients and the Mission district location, I was surprised GRUB wasn't more expensive. They deliver excellent food and service, and, while the restaurant is small, they make up for that with their unique spirit. If you are considering dining at GRUB, call ahead and make a reservation - it would not have been too long of a wait, but it is always better to be safer rather than sorry. 

Next on my list, I am trying either their savory chicken pot pie or another macaroni and cheese concotion. 

No comments:

Post a Comment