Thursday, March 31, 2011

Cupcake Love

After a week of indulging in typical San Diego Mexican food (soon to come on the blog), Mom and I decided to visit the new Sprinkles Cupcakes in La Jolla. To make things a little more fun, we decided to have a cupcake taste test with another local favorite, Cupcake Love.

First up: Cupcake Love
This cute little cupcake shop is easy to miss but hard to forget. It is a sweet bakery with a large display case showing off their twelve flavors of the day. They make both regular and mini sizes (my favorite!), as well as cupcake "pops" and special decorations (shown off in a rotating display).

To make our taste test easier, we focused on our two favorite flavors -- red velvet and peanut butter. With both available in mini sizes, I was very pleased and excited to try each of them. Their frosting was very light and fluffy and not too overpowering or overly sweet. The cake was the perfect denseness for a mini cupcake, very velvety in texture. Overall, I was a huge fan of their cupcakes. They balanced the flavors very well (it is easy to over do the peanut butter flavoring in a frosting) and I loved the texture of the cake. I was a little disappointed in the lack of cream cheesiness in the red velvet's frosting, but it was still very good. I have heard reviews that point out dryness of the cake and weird flavors -- but I'm glad to say we didn't have any of those problems and we definitely loved our Cupcake Love cupcakes!


Next stop: Sprinkles...

Cupcake Love Website

No comments:

Post a Comment