Friday, April 8, 2011

Chez Panisse

As my time at Berkeley is coming near its end, I realized that I am leaving a food mecca of northern California. With that said, I decided it is time to start trying all of the amazing places around campus that I have been putting off all four years -- with my first stop being the most famous of all Berkeley restaurants, the one and only Chez Panisse.

To think that I have lived less than two miles away from culinary greatness and never tried it until this weekend, most people would say I am crazy -- but on a college student's budget and time schedule, it is easy to dismiss as a possibility.  The prices, however, shocked me -- the whole meal in the upstairs Chez Panisse Cafe was quite affordable and I most definitely want to return to try another day's menu.


To start, we ordered two appetizers - the Pizzetta with Wild Mushrooms and Gremolata ($16) and the Baked Andante Dairy Goat Cheese with Garden Lettuce ($10). Expecting small portions, we were amazed at the size and creativity of these appetizers. The baked goat cheese was creamy with a delicate crumb coating sealing in its amazing flavors. The garden lettuce was surprising, you wouldn't think that simple lettuce could taste so fresh and with flavors surpassing mere lettuce. I would definitely enjoy a full salad of those greens. The pizzetta was almost big enough for one person to select as an entree. It had a perfect wood-fired texture, and fresh seasonal mushrooms and gremolata (a combination of lemon zest, garlic, parsley, and olive oil) melted in with the cheese. These dishes were an exceptional way to start off our meal.



I ordered the Spring Vegetable Couscous with Fried Spring Onions, Harissa, and Chermoula ($18) for my main dish. Just by its description, I was curious to see how all of these flavors would blend together. The harissa, a Tunisian hot chilli sauce, and chermoula, a herb-based sauce typically used in North African cuisine, were combined over couscous to create a wonderful texture and spice blend that I thoroughly enjoyed. The yellow spiced cauliflower was an excellent addition to the dish, along with chickpeas and snow peas. Two gently fried spring onions adorned the top of the dish and brought all of the flavors together.  This was a dish I would definitely order again.


The other entrees ordered at our table were the Liberty Farm Duck Leg Confit Baked in the Wood Oven with Roasted Radicchio, Parsnips, and Sage ($22)


and the Pan-Fried Rex Sole with Turkish Celery Root Salad and Asparagus ($23).


Of course, with my sweet tooth, I would not leave a culinary haven like Chez Panisse without trying some of their desserts. With a menu of 5-6 amazing selections, it was hard to choose just one... so we ordered two. The first was the Almond Cake with Marshall Farms Honey Ice Cream and Citrus Compote ($9.50). The almond cake was moist, dense, and not too sweet, so when combined with the other flavors on the plate, your palate was not overwhelmed. The honey ice cream was so delicately sweet and creamy and provided a wonderful contrast to the citrus and almond flavors. The fresh cuts of citrus, orange and blood orange, were a star on the plate, bringing everything together with a sharp tartness and underlying sweetness.  


The other dessert ordered was just as delectable, the Pink Lady Apple and Huckleberry Tart with Meyer Lemon Cream ($10). Beautifully presented, the tart was a great contrast to the almond cake. It had a crispy texture with the crust on the tart and nicely cooked flavors of apple and huckleberry. Warm and served with the lemon cream, this tart was refreshing and sweet. After these two winning desserts, I would love to try the other combinations on the menu.


Note to self: do not leave amazing culinary restaurants such as Chez Panisse until the last minute! Now I want to go back for more!


No comments:

Post a Comment