Monday, April 25, 2011

Tartine Bakery

So, third time's a charm -- I have visited Tartine Bakery three separate times this month in search of their famous double pain au chocolat (double chocolate croissant, $4.25); yet, each time I reached the counter, it seemed like they were always out of the delectable pastry.  Good thing their chocolate croissant isn't the only delectable item on the menu. 

In the Mission district, down 18th from the heart of the Castro and right around the corner from Dolores Park and Bi Rite Creamery, Tartine is one popular bakery. There is typically a line stretching around the corner of the bakery and down the street. Timing is everything. In the afternoons and evenings, Tartine is less crowded but they may be out of their morning pastries. But no worries if you end up in line, it moves fairly quickly and you can catch a glimpse of their kitchen in action through the side window. 

Once at the counter, it is a good idea to know what you would like to order, but since the bakery receives so many tourists from around the world daily coming to try their amazing food, they are more than willing to lead your order in the right direction. My first two encounters, after hearing they were clear out of chocolate croissants, I enlisted in some help from my servers. I ordered the Seasonal Brioche Bread Pudding on one occasion, and a Shortbread Cookie and a Chocolate Friand on the other. 


The Brioche Bread Pudding was nothing to rave about, especially after trying their other pastries. As far as bread puddings go, they did a wonderful job balancing the sugary sweetness with a tartness from the peaches. Their brioche was sliced into thick pieces for the bread pudding, giving it a fantastic texture. Unfortunately, bread pudding isn't my favorite (I thought Tartine could change that), but it is still too mushy for my liking and I wish there was an extra granola crunch on top.


Their Chocolate Friands take the cake -- a small chocolate ganache covered cake that is.  They are served up in perfectly small portions and can easily satisfy any chocolate lover's craving. The cake is dense and rich, while the ganache topping is smooth and creamy. This is a delightful treat for an after-lunch snack.

On my third visit, after waiting in line and memorizing my order in hopes that everything I wanted would be fresh and waiting for me, I finally got what I had been looking for -- their famous double chocolate croissant. These were definitely worth the wait. The croissant had a flakey, buttery crust that was cooked to golden perfection. The inside dough was airy and warm, yet there was still plenty of subtance to the dough. The chocolate, spread through every bite, left me speechless -- an amazing bittersweet chocolate melted into the fabric of the croissant and brought all of the flavors together. There was also no extreme buttery aftertaste, which to me means that this bakery knows what they are doing and don't have to slather their pastries in butter to make them taste amazing.

To decribe a bite: the croissant crumbles, flakes, and gives you a mouthful of bittersweet chocolate with the sweet-salty dough. It only leaves you with a slight buttery sheen on your hands and the extreme urge to take another bite.




My three times at Tartine will not be the last, as there are still things on the menu I long to try -- like the Humbolt Fog Goat Cheese Sandwich, freshly pressed and warm when ordered, or the gougeres, a perfect combination of crusty on the outside and soft, eggy dough on the inside. Yes, yes, I will be back for more... 

No comments:

Post a Comment